Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Magical Sixth Ring

Dear Kobe Bryant,

As a fan who has grown up watching you and followed your entire career there's nothing more that I want then for you to get your 6th ring. You can say that I'm obsessive, especially since you're the one fighting day-in and day-out, but as a Laker fan, and more importantly a Byrant supporter, it's difficult for me not to be overly attached to the player and organization I've looked up to my entire life. Hearing the naysayers, the Laker haters, and the Jordan apostles saying that you'll never be the greatest adds fuels to my fiery passion, for you and the organization. But over the last years I've been disappointed to see how things have played out. Last year was a nightmare, the year prior was a circus, and the year before that was a bitter sweet and sad realization that everyone in the purple and gold was going to go through a rocky adventure.

Even then, when I knew our time on top of the mountain was ending I remained optimistic. The Lakers front office convinced me that adding Nash and Howard was going to bring us back to the promise land. But who would've known the hardships that awaited. Not only that, but the hiring of Mike D'antoni made me more concerned, however, I trusted KB24 and I hoped you would be able to bring that bunch together for a real shot a the title, which you almost did, before you season ending Achilles injury, which resulted in Queen Howard's sorry performance in the first-round of the playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs. I'm not bitter with how things ended, but I'm disappointed because I expected more from you!

For years I've been waiting to see you grow as a leader, unfortunately that hasn't been the case. The lack of trust for your teammates has never disappeared. Your judgement in according to the teams circumstances have been questionable. Most importantly your inability to make your teammates better has been your greatest weakness. All that said, I understand that those same deficiencies is what make you so beloved. But as you've been aging and the league has continually evolved, your once maniacal competitive nature is turning into your greatest handicap.

My only wish for this season is to see some changes within you, Mr. Bryant. After missing so much time I'd hope that you'd realize that you're not the same player that you used to be. Just like the many greats that came before you, and even one that still winning (aka Big Timmy), I'd hope to see you evolve your game as well. This years 2015-16 season will not be easy, but with you leading the way there's always hope. Hopefully, Mr. Bryant, we'll see a new Mamba that will take the league by storm.

Always and truly your number 1,

JS

No comments:

Post a Comment